Birthplace: Melton Mowbray
Location: Penrith, Cumbria
Art Medium: Oil painting, occasionally acrylic
Influences: Fred Cuming, Joan Eardley,Turner, Whistler, Sheila Fell, Christian Hook
- Diploma at Norfolk School of Oil Painting in 2017
- Courses at Glasgow School of Art, St Ives School of Painting and at Higham Hall, Cumbria
The paintings of Maria Burton are derived from sketches most often made in Cumbria, Northumberland, and Norfolk. In a quest to catch a moment in time and a sense of place, they are an emotive response - part observation, memory, intrigue, and awe. Through the ambiguity of mark making, the viewer is invited to complete the story. Maria believes that nothing is more of a privilege than when the transfer of perception and ownership is made.
Maria is based in Penrith, Cumbria and much of her collection centres around the Lake District Fells where she has walked for a number of years. Commission work is invited.
- People’s Choice at the Artists Showcase, Penrith 2016
- Exhibition Visitors vote at Create Longridge 2017
- People’s Choice at the Artists in Penrith exhibition 2017
- Upfront Open [Jan. - Mar. 2018]
- First Solo Exhibition - Brockhole Gallery, Brockhole Visitors Centre, Windermere [Aug. 3 - Sept. 30 2018]
Work represented by us:
Paintings: Maria Burton