Birthplace: Ormskirk, Lancashire
Location: Brackley, Northamptonshire
Art Medium: Cast Glass
Style: Figurative - landscape based
Influences: My father, himself a professional graphic designer and landscape watercolourist.
- 2013-Present: PhD, Royal College of Art, London. I am researching the optical perception of image in glass.
- 1994-96: MA, Glass and Ceramics, Royal College of Art
- 1991-94: BA (Hons), 3D Design: Glass & Ceramics, Sunderland University
Helen has recently embarked on a practice based research PhD in glass, at The Royal College of Art, in order to develop her practice further.
She draws inspiration from the figurative and its perception within changing environments. By using a mixture of techniques similar to those used in bronze casting and some specially developed by Helen herself, through years of research, she is able to produce stunning one off Art pieces.
These unique glass pieces vary in scale from dramatic life size figures, to be displayed outdoors, to delicate tabletop casts for interiors.
“My work explores the notion of places. I am particularly interested in our human relationship with different locations, how we perceive and bring our own personal resonance to them. This maybe the emotional associations relating to a happening, or the physical impact or traces we leave.
In order to capture the essence of these spaces, which in some cases no longer exist, I exploit the spatial depth that can be created using a 2D image within glass. In particular my current works address my memories of places that have long since disappeared recreating them, as remembered, and capturing or preserving them in glass.”
- 1994: Charles Bray prize for Art, Sunderland University
I have exhibited nationally and internationally and was recently selected to exhibit in the International Glass Biennale 2017. This was a real honour where I was proud to exhibit my current PhD research work along side famous glass artists that I have studied and admired for years.
- 2016 - RCA, Work in Progress Show Affordable Art Fair, Bristol Biscuit Factory, Newcastle CAA, London
- 2014 - Hadfield Gallery, Cheltenham Catherine Hammond Gallery, Cork, Ireland
- 2013 - Pyramid Gallery, York, CAA, London Design Week Pavilion
- 2012 - Blast, Zest Gallery, London Glass Games, The Church Gallery, London
- 2010 - The Affordable Art Fair, Battersea, London Melting Point, Contemporary Applied Arts Gallery, London
- 2009 - Art Space - Barn Galleries, Henley on Thames Fresh Air 09 - Quenington Sculpture Trust Melting Point - Pyramid Gallery, York
- 2005 - The Cowdy Gallery, Cirencester Contemporary Glass, Pyramid Gallery York
- 2001 - Rowe & Moore Exhibition, Westminister, London
- 1999 - The Stroud House Gallery, Stroud
- 1998 - Hanover Arts & Crafts Centre, Hanover, Germany
- 1997 - Hamburg Arts Fair, Hamburg, Germany Gallery ‘L’ Hamburg, Germany
- 1996 - Lillya Contemporary Arts Gallery, The Netherlands
Work represented by us:
Glassworks & Mirrors: Helen Slater