Location: Eden Valley, Cumbria
Art Medium: Lithographs
- 1967 – 71 Fine Art, St Martin’s School of Art, London
- Gulbenkian Foundation Award
Since graduating from London’s St. Martin’s School of Art in 1971, Alan Stones has worked full-time as an artist - making paintings, drawings and original prints (lithographs).
In 1984 Alan won a Gulbenkian Foundation Award to experiment in printmaking.It was the beginning of a prolific creation of lithographs. His initial subject was hill farming in the Northern Pennines. Then in the mid 1990’s, after a three month residency on the Falkland Islands, the imagery of his lithographs became much more minimal.
Alan Stones’ work is invariably ‘to do’ with people. When depicting other subjects these are usually aspects of nature – which stand as metaphors for human activities.
- Upcoming solo shows: Vallum Gallery (Cumbria Institute of the Arts) & The Beacon, Whitehaven.
- Upfront Gallery 2017: 'Clearing' - a large solo exhibition.
- 2017-18 New Light Art Prize Exhibition (Bowes Museum County Durham, Huddersfield Art Gallery and Tullie House, Carlisle)
Alan is a Patron of Printfest.
Work represented by NLG:
Printmaking: Alan Stones